Followers

Monday, April 18, 2016

I LOVE I HATE FAIRYLAND

What the MUFFIN HUGGIN',  FLUFFED out piece of surrealistic, psychedelic SPELL did I just read! And may I have some more, please. With cherries on top? If this comic was a drug, it would be LSD mixed with red cordial and speed. Meet Gertrude, her wish came true and she ended up in Fairyland.
Big mistake Gertie. Apparently all she needs to do is find one little key to one little door to find her way home. Simple, easy, right? I mean it's fairyland! It Queen Cloudia with hair like a cumulus (except when she's like, seriously pissed off, and then its more like a cumulonimbus). It has towns made out of pillows, or lakes filled by giant snot-monsters. It is a mind-FLUFF of a place that never stops, never shuts down, never shuts up, and sweet little Gert has been stuck there for 27 years. In the sugar-raged out body of her 8 year old self. Cue fun and games and GORE! He he he!
Everything that any self respecting Goth-girl ever loved about Lenore or Ruby Gloom is right here. The ridiculous depraved cuteness of Jhonan Vasquez SLG Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, the sly subversive humor Lisa Myhre's Nemi, the marketing possibilities of Emily the Strange, yep. All of that. And so much more.

We all know that I love a meta-narrative, and not only is Gert TOTALLY aware of genre conventions,

there are also fourth wall breaks that Deadpool would be proud of. 


 And the narrators have the life span of a Spinal Tap drummer! (Watching Narrator #4 realise exactly whose story he's gotten stuck narrating is freaking brilliant! Poor, guy. He was just trying to do his job and support his family.)
I love I hate Fairyland as much as Gertie actually hates Fairyland. Which is a FLUFFIN' lot. Skottie Young is now on my auto-buy list. I'm talking ten out of MUFFIN FLUFFIN' ten. And this would be even without his collaboration with Neil Gaiman on Fortunately the Milk, aka the best children's book ever FLUFFIN' written. Seriously, time travelling dinosaur scientists, and volcano gods, and pirates, and everything. I will now proceed to read all of his Oz books. Be right back.



No comments:

Post a Comment