Followers

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Outcast! In two parts, part one

I finished up on the third volume of Outcast just in time to watch the first episode of the tv adap.
I thought I'd review the books BEFORE watching though.

Before I get started, I may have to admit something. I have not read The Walking Dead. I've watched most of it, but I haven't read a single issue. Which seems a bit ridiculous. I do know that Robert Kirkman, responsible for both TWD and Outcast is considered to be a great, but so far, I'm not feeling it.


Kyle Barnes is living a shitty little life in a shitty little town, where everyone thinks he's a shitty guy. Well, everyone except his foster sister. They think he's a shitty guy because they all think he beat the crap out of his wife and young daughter. Except he didn't. And they think that he beat and hospitalised his mother as a child because she was abusive. But she wasn't, and he didn't. Somehow Kyle is a magnet for demonic possession. Somehow all the people that he cares about become vulnerable to possession just because he's around. Coming home and discovering a demon inside his wife using her body to hurt their child is not even the worst thing that's happened. Figuring out that his daughter *spoiler* has inherited the same "ability" when his foster sister throws her policeman husband out of a second floor window is still not even the worst thing.  

The actual devil moving in next door? maybe. Him babysitting the niece? *shudder*


There is a grand conspiracy at work here. Every demon that Kyle and his Reverend partner  come across knows who he is, "the outcast". And they seem to have big big big plans for him. Plus, it seems that he can exorcise them completely just by using his touch, or his blood. And as long as he's got there quick enough, they'll be okay. If the demon has been there long term, however, they'll end up comatose like his mother.

It's a slow burner. Maybe too slow for some people. The story takes it's time, nothing happens quickly,  and no questioned have answers have yet. The small-town setting adds to the slow atmosphere. Also giving everything a claustrophobic feel. 

So far I waver between a 5-6/10. I can believe in it's potential, I'm just not sure if everyone will have the patience. Perhaps the tv show will offer a more visceral immediacy, and a few more chills.

I have to wait for the Mother to fall asleep, or something because it's too scary for her. Unfortunately, taking care of her is my job, so my scary show time is minimal. 






No comments:

Post a Comment