Followers

Monday, May 16, 2016

Image Comics Update




So, Wolf by Ales Kot is looking like a favourite. Supernatural detective with secrets? Check. Teenage girl who may end up being the actual antichrist? Check. Sudden time jump to five years into the future for volume 2? Oh, man. I want the last two issues so, so, so bad. 8.5/10


Lets all just accept that I am a Terry Pratchett fan. Almost every member of my family cried on the day that he died. Just a fact. Reading Huck, I am unavoidably reminded of Captain Carrot. Huck, and Carrot, have this beautiful naivete which both contrasts, and highlights and compliments their sheer strength and ability, and the power of story, narrative, and expectation of the foundling, the third son, the boy with the mysterious birthmark that has become almost an ontological part of our socio-cosmic world-view. Pratchett, in his way, knew how to play with the audiences expectations, the way that the reader seeks to see familiar stories, and figures in everything. Huck, is just BEAUTIFUL. 

His mystical abilities to "find anything" mean less than his need to do the right thing, to make a difference. He doesn't give a shit if his to do list is paying for the dinner of every body in line behind him at the drive-in, or heading to Africa to save 200 kidnapped schoolgirls. He is just that innocent. And I LOVE him. Oh, Huck. I would ring you fresh milk and band-aids, and help you fill in all your horrible paperwork just so you could go on being yourself. I don't care if you are a cold-war era, super-soldier experiment. I really don't. I don't care if your long lost twin brother turns up with all the details, or if he proves to be a lying, sneaky government plant using you to find your long-lost mother. You are exactly what I need in my comic books. That moment when you told your empathic mother to brainwash you into breaking through the unbreakable glass imprisoning you? I'm really, really, really excited for Volume 2. GO, HUCK!

Also WicDiv? OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG,





No comments:

Post a Comment